Friday 7 March 2008

Film Festival Revisited

I decided I should make a quick comment about the various films I saw at the festival. Obviously, I was unable to view many of them, but here goes.

Margot at the Wedding
Mathaharis

Jezebel - A classic and pretty good, definitely a Gone with the Wind rip off, but I liked this character much better than Scarlett O'hara
Caramel - I liked how it presented the woman's stories and they're life; however, it went no where and there was very little conclusion. In fact only one woman's story really had an ending. It could have used another half hour effectively. I wonder if they just ran out of funding?
Diary of the Dead
My Blueberry Nights
The last Mistress
Teeth
XXY

You, the Living - this film was actually crazy and hilarious. It just showed vignettes of various people's lives. Reminded me of Waking Life but not animated. Very stylized however. Most characters were covered in a lighter foundation and it was very pea green with the sets. Very sparse. Very Swedish. Two Thumbs up. Loved it.
Thieves
Water Lillies - BORING! If you want to see a "coming of age" story of a teenage girl lusting over another more popular girl then just watch Fucking Åmal instead.
Priceless (Hors de Prix) - really funny. A classic romantic comedy. Reminded me of that Steve Martin/Michael Cain film that became a musical. Nothing to exciting, obviously predictable but still hilarious.
All About Eve - the wit in this film is amazing. No wonder it's a classic. Margo Channing is my new hero.
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - I'm so glad I finally got to see this one! I loved it. So camp classic, the acting over done, the characters insane. It's now on my list of movies I should make drinking games for.
[REC]
ZOMBIE STRIPPERS - well, it was shown from a DVD. Obviously, it's straight to DVD. Jenna Jameson is the first Zombie Stripper and is scantily clad through out most of it. The film tries to comment on America, the war, Bush, society in general, but does it in a very obvious way that isn't really funny. However, the best part of the film was when the two Christians (one a stripper the other her boyfriend) are cowering in fear and the boyfriend is trying to convince his girlfriend they should lose they're virginity now. She says no so he offers options such as "I'll only put it in half way" then offers anal when half way is rejected. The most amazing line only because it's so true.

No comments: