Tuesday 16 October 2007

Change...

the whole sordid truth.

I was just released from the hospital so i feel like i should give you a full blown update.

what happened: after a migraine for two days i woke up to find my left side numb. My flatmate and i went to the hospital they said that it was probably viral menengitis, would give me some medicine/painkillers and forget about the lumbar puncture for now.

i went home and with in an hour woke up from my nap spasming and yelling for my flatmates to help. one called 999 the other tried to get me to respond. she said i was stiff unresponsive and my pupils were huge and i sounded like i was gagging/snoring while i was breathing.

paramedics came, they thought i was a) american and therefore stupid, b) a college student and therefore stupid, and c) i must have OD'ed on the "drugs" in my room (aka my zoloft for anxiety which if i was going to try to get fucked up i would have found something else to do it with mind you). So they try to do some tests on me at the hospital, move me from ward to ward until friday they move me to another hospital with a neurology ward and acute stroke unit. with in 12 hours of arriving they diagnosis that i had a blood clot near my brain, a stroke, and will be on blood thinners for 6-12 months.

what caused it: no specific reason but it could be a number of things. could be the concussion i had in the spring. a new head injury from rugby practice or the 10 minutes of the game i played when sick. dehydration. exhaustion the pill etc.

what does it mean: well i have to go off the pill but onto some other bc because i am forbidden from getting pregnant while on blood thinners. of course you know i really wanted to get pregnant right now. haha. no rugby for the whole duration im on blood thinners (could be a year). have to be careful about drinking--must be in moderation. have to be careful about banging my head, bruises, etc. i have to inject a form of rat posion into me to thin my blood, and yes i'm staying here and finishing my program. i don't back down this easy.

thanks to everyone who sent messages, emails, texts, and comments. it really meant a lot.

on a random note: cnn just had a story America Votes 2008: Guliani prepared for alien attack?" GOOD LORD!

also if you were reading runzoo959.blogspot.com it's not being directed here. so yeah.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Glad that you got out. Hope to hear more from you soon!